Friday, September 1, 2006

Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

View of Dubrovnik (and my niece) from the ship

We spent the day in Dubrovnik, Croatia. I didn't know what to expect. It's a popular beach resort, so I guess I pictured something like the Caribbean.

The reality is somewhat different...lots of rocky mountains with quaint little red-and-white homes built all the way to the top. The sea is gorgeous, glittering turquoise.

We walked around the old town for a bit. Then my brother said, "Hey! Let's climb the old city wall!" Then my sister-in-law said, "Yeah, let's!" I declined, but then I figured that climbing up those steep, narrow stairs would be a great workout.

So we climb up this looooong staircase and look around and take some pictures. I say, "That was nice!" and head for the staircase again. Oh no, I am informed. What we must do is walk all the way around the city wall (as in, all the way around the old city) and climb all the way to the very tip-top turret.

Five hours and 8,302 stairs later....


I say that counts as today's workout. Anyone got a problem with that?

I wish I could post a picture, but for some reason that's not working. I'll give it one last try today, and if it doesn't work I'll give it up until I'm back. Not that anyone is just dying to see my vacation pictures....