Monday, April 23, 2007

Next Time I'll Try the Burlap Sack

There's just no point in my even trying to be fashionable. I was born to spend my life in sweats, and I might as well accept it.

I've been feeling like my work clothes aren't feminine enough, or maybe it's just that even the girliest suit never feels particularly sexy. I thought I'd try a nice dress instead.

It's okay to wear a dress, but of course it has to be a work-appropriate dress. I have, oh, 9,325 dresses in my closet, and none of them were work-appropriate. Too short, too long, too low-cut, too tight, too sloppy, too fancy, too lacy, too young, too old.

I'd need to buy one...easier said than done. I felt that it should cover my shoulders, not be too form-fitting, and not be too revealing. Every dress in the world is at least one of those things. I finally found a dress that met all of my qualifications: a little bit loose but not a sack, cut past the knee, and with flowing sleeves that ended at my elbows.

Unfortunately, I was so busy looking for those details that I failed to take in the entirety of the dress.

So I wore the dress today, and I was feeling pretty good about myself. Then I happened to glance at myself in the full-length mirror in the ladies' room. Oh, the horror! Somehow...and I don't know how it happened...I'd embraced '70s fabulosity. I have seen that dress, with its polyester stretchiness and bohemian breeziness and its godawful loud mod pattern. In my mom's closet. Next to the bell bottoms.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On a sad note, I did want to thank everyone for the kind words about Louie. It's been very hard. I was so steeled for the possibility that he would die that the news didn't shock me in the least, yet I wasn't ready in the least for the reality of him being gone. I can't believe how much it hurts. Everywhere I look, I see a place where he was. Even as I sit here typing, all I can think about is how he used to delight in parking himself in front of the computer monitor so I couldn't see it, how he'd purr when I nudged him to the side and then move right back where he was, looking at me with his eyes full of light and love. How can he be so very gone, so very fast?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so sorry about Louie! It's truly terrible to lose one of your pets. I'm thinking of you!

Jocelyn Smith said...

My mother likes to snark at some of the dresses available for sale now, since she used to wear such things in the 70s. The horror!

I wouldn't mind getting a few dresses. I'm pretty conservative, usually suits and nothing else, so a little variety would be welcome in my wardrobe.

I know how hard it is to cope with the loss of a beloved kitty. Be patient with yourself; there will be good days and bad days. It will get better; I promise.

Misplaced Texan said...

I did manage to find a suit at Bannana Republic once that I felt I looked good in and could wear to interviews. But it is so true, most professional clothing is just not attractive. I am a girl, and I want to enjoy being a girl.