Time Flies Nerdily By
I see that Star Wars is 30 years old. That marks precisely 15 years since I realized it was, undeniably, the best movie ever.
I remember it so clearly because I watched it on TV as part of a special "15th anniversary" event. I was so amazed by this great movie I had discovered. I introduced it to a friend, and she loved it too.
It's not that I knew nothing about it. I have a vague notion of it from the foggy dark of early childhood, and I somehow have always known the mechanics of who's related to whom through the pop culture osmosis that ensures that every person who grows up in a society knows all the really important things, like the "Batman" version of Jingle Bells.
But I hadn't actually watched it, as in watched it and took it all in and appreciated its awesomeness.
Meanwhile, how can 15 years have passed? How can that movie be twice as old as it was back then, when it already sounded really old? I know that time is gliding by me faster and faster, but I still find this impossible.
I thought about watching Star Wars to commemorate the occasion, but I really had no desire to do so. The prequels have killed it for me. All I can think about is Jar-Jar Binks and then I feel a bit like throwing up.
3 comments:
I always hoped that Jar-Jar would die a cruel and horrible death in the first scene of the second pre-quel. But alas he lives!
It is sad, the old ones were so wonderful and Harrison Ford was so HOT in them as well.
It was Anikan that ruined Star Wars for me. He spends most of the movies complaining and being a huge baby. I never ceases to amaze me that Mr. Complainy-pants became Darth Vader.
I know this is really late (but you have only yourself to blame for leaving an inadequate trail for me to follow to the new blog :-P), but you've got to watch at least the original Star Wars again. I resisted kicking and screaming since I loathed the prequels so much, to the point that I only watched the last twenty minutes of the third one, just for a little (crappy) closure. But my boyfriend made me watch, and I was shocked at what a decent, enjoyable movie it was. No Jar-Jar. Not even a hint. Plus hot hot hot Harrison Ford.
Post a Comment