Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Taking the Suckiness Out of Law School

My brother is staring down his first day of law school. I've given him all of my old outlines, and, if he wants them, he can have all of my old bar studying materials (I never did sell them back because sooner or later "they" will tell me it was all a mistake and I'll have to take it again). Other than that, I find myself oddly helpless.

What is there to say, really? "Good luck"? "If it sucks, that's normal"? "I will understand if it turns out not to have been the right choice for you"? (Some days that last one hits awfully close to home.) Just because something is true doesn't make it the right thing to say.

My brother has always enjoyed school and learning in general, and he particularly enjoyed it at higher education levels. I think he gets excited about it – he actually wants to know about things like, say civil procedure, as opposed to someone like me who viewed most classes as purely a means to an end. My hope is that he'll find law school satisfying, and that his more laidback nature will prevent the type of daily anxiety attacks that plagued my first semester. Maybe he'll be one of those people who really loves law school. Weirdos.

I do think there's about a fifty percent chance of him being a gunner. Sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, what would you tell a person about to embark on that neverending carousel of delights that is law school?

I guess I will just say that it's normal and right if it feels like nothing makes sense. A lot of the time you won't quite get the full picture until shortly before finals (at least, one hopes you will get it by then ;), and as awful as that feels that first Thanksgiving, I wish I had fully understood just how common that was.

I did everything wrong that first semester – everything people advised us not to do – and I waited way too long to study for finals and I didn't outline during the semester and I remember this one day near the beginning I sat there trying to read for class and it was getting dark outside and then the electricity went out and I was drinking a can of cream soda and it felt like the whole world was so dreary and black and to this day the thought of that thick cloying soda coating my tongue makes me feel ill. I felt out of control and stupid and slightly insane, like the mental equivalent of reeling drunkenness, and I stayed up all night before finals too.

And gosh, I did well in law school. If I could figure out why I would write the definitive book on it and make tons of money and that would be awesome and ironic, in that being good at law school would be the thing that freed me from actually practicing law. Alas, I can't figure it out. Maybe it's that I had great outlines, mostly thanks to other people, but as long as I could bring those suckers in to the final, I knew I could find the law that I needed (especially since I extensively indexed them). And I was really really good at blabbing on and on forever, though I am sure you would NEVER have expected that. In law school they call that "applying the law to the facts," and they love it. I call it B.S.ing, but whatever.

So apparently that is the key to law school. And all of the reading for class and knowing all the answers when called on (which I did NOT – I was a blathering idiot, among the worst there were) and panic and fear and bragging and posturing and one-upmanship are ultimately irrelevant.

Or not. Everybody I talk to seems to have a different take.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are helping him out. When I started law school my husband made it clear that he was NOT giving me he outlines or any materials at all because I had to do it all myself. Just like he did. Because that is how I will learn.

Yes, I did punch him in the face for that, but he only fell down for a second.

Misplaced Texan said...

I really can't believe that your bro is going to law school after all your suffering to prove that it's not a happy place. Hmmm, is he crazy?

Anonymous said...

At my law school orientation, one of the deans had a telling joke:
An old man lived in a small village and his only source of income came from his horse. One day, the horse ran off. All of the villagers came to him and said "Oh, what bad fortune! Your horse ran away.". The old man shrugged and said back "Good fortune, bad fortune, who's to say?".
A few days later, the horse came back to the old man and had six wild mustangs with him. All of the villagers came to him and said "Oh, what good fortune! You now have seven horses.". The old man shrugged and said back "Good fortune, bad fortune, who's to say?".
The old man's son was working to break in one of the wild horses, when it bucked him off and the son broke his leg. All of the villagers came to the old man and said "Oh, what bad fortune! Your only son is now cripled.". The old man shrugged and said back "Good fortune, bad fortune, who's to say?".
A week past and the country where the old man lived was suddenly involved in a war. The army passed through the villiage and conscripted all of the young men, all of whom perished in the war. The old man's son was not drafted, as his leg was cripled. All of the villagers came to the old man and said "Oh, what good fortune! Your only son was spared from death.". The old man shrugged and said back "Good fortune, bad fortune, who's to say?".
At this point, the dean looked at us, the incoming class, and said "So now your about to begin law school. Good fortune, bad fortune, who's to say?".

Anonymous said...

That joke about the old man in the small village says anything I would have said about law school. There's no way to tell ahead of time if you'll be one of the people who loves it, or one of the people who hates it. And even if you love it that doesn't mean you'll get good grades/a job, and likewise hating it doesn't mean you'll get bad grades/no job.
What I would tell someone just starting out in law school is -- trust your gut. Like most of the classes, the whole thing doesn't make sense until it's almost over, and at that point it's too late to change your mind. But at each step along the way you probably know deep down what's really right. You'll know if you're getting the material in one class and not another, you'll know if that new "friend" is the type to help you or the type to screw you over, and, if you should be one of the unlucky ones who will end up hating law, you'll probably have a sense for that early on. The problem is, at the same time that you're having all these gut reactions to the whole process, the process is systematically making you doubt yourself -- ESPECIALLY the way you analyze things and reach conclusions. So, if you're like me at all (which, God help you, I hope you aren't)you end up coming out of the first year totally confused and adrift in a sea of competing wants and fears. Not a good place to be when you're trying to learn something hard or make a major life decision.

Sooooo, my advice to take the suckiness out of law school (based purely on my own experience) is: Don't let it make you doubt yourself. You're still the smart, competent person who got admitted, even when you feel like a total loser. If you strongly believe that you should do one thing and not another, even if the whole law school herd disagrees with you, do what you think you should do anyway. If you can do that, you'll be more likely to end up where you actually want to be in 3 years, and less likely to find yourself sitting in some office, going "WTF happened to my life?" Not that I know anything about that;)