Monday, June 16, 2008

A Question of Etiquette

Blah. My job has been unbearable lately – but then, following the recent deluge, I found myself with nothing today. Would prefer to just work steadily every day rather than sitting there not billing time some other day.

The free time, as it will, caused my mind to wander to all sorts of very important questions. Such as, what is the most polite way to make use of the facilities? You know...the facilities for...personal matters?

The problem is, the women's restroom has 3 stalls. At one end is a handicapped stall. Now, good breeding and an appreciation of etiquette dictate that, if someone is already occupying a stall on the end, you must leave a stall in between. (This is one of those unspoken rules that everyone just KNOWS without it ever being discussed.) However, in this particular restroom, the stall on the other end is the handicapped stall, which again politeness requires one not to use unless one is of the handicapped persuasion.

This creates quite the dilemma. I agonize over it on a daily basis. That, and, like, world peace and stuff.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the handicap stall. It's big, nice, and roomy. I can stretch out and really relax. Plus, the seat's high, so I feel like I'm a gargoyle perched up on high.

Anonymous said...

I find the individuals who always need the handicap stall to be the most frustrating. and I don't mean the handicapped. I mean, the ones who want the palatial stall. It seems a little selfish.

And I know what you mean about free time. Especially after a steady storm...

Make Mine a Triple said...

Ags, meet Danielle. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late leaving a comment on this post, but I have a work bathroom situation that is so distasteful I simply have to vent about it somehwere. And since I can't imagine a more appropriate place than this, here it goes. The women's bathroom of which I speak shares 5 stalls, with a handicap stall on the end. Even if you take away the handicap stall, there are numerous combinations of stall arrangments that leave at least one stall in between. However, it's as if the unspoke rule does not exist on my floor. The other "ladies" have no bathroom etiquette whatsoever. I have been in the first, second, third, or fourth stall ALONE on numerous occassions and when a second person comes in, it's as if they purposely take whatever stall is RIGHT BESIDE me, no matter which one I am in. I simply do not understand the behavior. I am baffled by it everytime. Please, unspoken rule, come back.