The Way That BarBri Sucks
So the question was posed to me, and I feel I should respond, "Does BarBri actually suck that much? Why did you take it?"
Well, let's be clear. I never said that it sucks because it doesn't WORK. I think it's pretty much impossible to approach bar prep on your own (how on earth would you go about gathering all of The Law you need to know?). You could buy materials from a couple of non-BarBri sources, but those don't have the same proven success rate and may not do as good a job of covering state-exclusive topics.
Even if you did that, you'd be facing the biggest problem: procrastination. If BarBri does anything, it gets your butt into a chair and learning, six days a week, at least four hours a day, starting in MAY. Do you think I would have been thinking about Wills & Trusts on May 23 if BarBri hadn't forced me to do so?
So there's that, and then there's the fact that the material is pretty good. I think you could very easily focus only on the lecture handout book and be all set for the bar, and I mean all of the bar, from the MPT to the MBE to the Essays and even the dreaded Procedure & Evidence ("dreaded" in that I dread it b/c the only thing I hate more than evidence is procedure!).
No, I'd say the problem with BarBri is that it is SO DAMN GOOD that it killed all of its viable competitors and now has a monopoly. Which means they can treat us all like crap. Which they do, on a daily basis, with eyes that are filled with unholy glee. Which is why BarBri sucks!