Gotta Have Friends
I stopped by tonight to see some friends. "Where ya been?" they chorused.
I laughed and, trying to keep the mood light, made some joke about the bar exam.
"We've missed you," said one of my friends, and I began to realize that the atmosphere was a bit strained.
"I'm sorry," I said, and tried to explain. "I've been busy."
"It's been months," they said. "We always liked it when you'd come around with your other friends. Didn't we have fun?"
I realized it was true. While we had on occasion spent time together, just them and me, we had the most fun when I brought other friends. I loved introducing new people to them. "We did," I said. "And we will again. Just as soon as the bar is over."
"We have other friends, you know," said one friend. I nodded, ashamed.
"Lots of LAWYER friends," piped up another. "Lawyers are some of our BEST friends."
"Oh," I replied. "I didn't realize." No one responded.
The silence lengthened, grew uncomfortable.
"Look," said one of my friends, "maybe you should go."
"O-okay," I said, and headed for the door. Then I stopped and turned back. "Do you mind," I began, hating the quaver in my voice, "if I take a picture, something I can look at to remember better times while I'm studying?"
A derisive snort was my only response. Taking that as consent, I snapped a picture. Then I walked out the door.
Wouldn't you like to meet my friends?