Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Rant o' the Day

It is not necessary to use two spaces after each sentence. Indeed, if you insist on doing so in HTML, the redundant space will be stripped out anyway. See? I just had 500 spaces between the last sentence and this one. And they didn't show up at all, did they? DID THEY?

There is no general "rule" that one must use two spaces. The ONLY time this "rule" applies is when you are using a fixed-width font (as with a typewriter). Chances are that if you're using a computer, you are not using a fixed-width font. The accepted typesetting practice (that would be what you're doing when you're typing something on a computer!) is that one space is proper.

"But," I hear you whimpering, "the judge will force me to eat my motion if I don't use two spaces. My partner will fire me!"

Fine. If they want to be idiots who insist on extra spaces after each sentence, so be it. Do it. But don't waste your time doing it when it's not necessary. When you're using a variable-width font, two spaces look stupid. Plus it apparently makes me REALLY MAD!