Well, I'm Back
I zipped off for a quick little getaway with my parents to the hometown for Mother's Day.
I had a really great time – it was so nice to get away from the anxiety and dread that's happening here and just be somewhere where I could release some of my worries.
But sheesh, it's hard to get away. I didn't get to bed the night before I left until something like 3 in the morning, between the laundry and the packing and the last-minute preparations. The next night in the hotel, I fell asleep with a glass in my hand and ended up spilling Diet Coke all over myself and the bed and the pillow. It was cold and wet and not fun.
I was also woefully unprepared for the weather. I dunno, it's May, it's spring, it's time for short sleeves, or so went my theory. Instead I was greeted with 40-degree temperatures, which produced all the shivering and whatnot. The shame of it is that I would have loved one last little taste of winter before the oven cranks up here, if only I'd been dressed appropriately.
I didn't do much...the trip was mostly about seeing people and eating. My grandmother had the time of her life again....she enjoys seeing us so much, and something as little as a lunch out makes her so very happy. She seems to be doing very well – everyone talked about how good she looks, better than she did a couple of years ago at 95.
Not to be all conceited, but I think seeing us so often has made a difference...we noticed several years ago that our visits really perked her up, and now that we're up there every few months, well, maybe that had something to do with her renewed health. She had four waffles and bacon at the Mother's Day brunch today (I ate everything else. In the whole buffet. Urk). We've promised to go back for her birthday in August.
Which reminds me...I need to once again place an order for a birthday card from the president. I have done so every year since 2000 (because, I am sad to say, she was no fan of Clinton), and she's only actually received two. I'm not holding my breath.
No comments:
Post a Comment