Sunday, December 23, 2007

No Lawyers Were Harmed

The Christmas party somehow went off more or less without a hitch. People came, they ate, drank, and made merry, and then they went home. The convergence in the same room at the same time of my lawyerly colleagues and my compatriots from bygone days of yore did not cause the universe to implode. I am fairly certain nobody mentioned my shameful predilection for unlawfully obtained libations. So, all in all, a SUCCESS.

I also totally cleaned up with hostess gifts, a delightful twist I hadn't expected. Maybe I should have. I've had parties before, but not holiday parties. Since it apparently means people give me PRESENTS, you can rest assured that this shall become a tradition. (Next year, however, I will write down what people bring as they enter the house – I have no idea who most of the stuff came from, and few included gift labels. This would not have helped with the people who entered on their own and just set their gifts down somewhere, which apparently happened at least once.)

One snag...slight miscalculation with respect to the amount of food needed. No biggie. Just thirty or so giant sandwiches left over. Five pounds of dip. Three cakes. Ten crates full of assorted beverages.

Anyone wanna come over and raid my fridge?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That big, expensive bottle of wine was from me.

ipse dixit said...

Wow, sounds like a smashing success. My holiday party was last week, and all I can say is that I was certain that many of my coworkers were going to need counsel by the end of the night.

Jocelyn Smith said...

HEH! Awesome! We lawyers do love to party--it's fun to observe how surprised laymen are to discover that.

Lawyers WERE harmed at my in-office Christmas party.

You may recall from last year that my office centers its celebration around the turkeys that are gifted to us by a longtime client--we must earn them. Last year we set the lawyers to various tasks including improv comedy and hoola hooping--much booze is involved. We toyed with the idea of a mechanical bull, then decided against it.

This year's Turkey Day Committee were more ambitious. We got our mechanical bull. We ended up with a number of pulled muscles, several cases of rope burn, at least one case of bloodshed, and large numbers of bruises. I have a lovely and colorful momento to my ride on my ankle--I'm told I backflipped off the thing.

But it was soooo worth it!

Make Mine a Triple said...

LOL...God, I love your office. Too too fun. Our party was at a chichi hot spot where all the pretty people go. I am not one of the pretty people. It was cold and rainy and the valet was not marked and parking without the valet would have cost $100+, so I drove around and around until I finally stopped in front of some likely-looking dudes who said they were the valets. I hoped desperately that they were and left my car with them. Turns out they were the official valets, so that was good. After the very chichi party, I had to wait in a line that was 30 people long for my car. It took an hour. It was even colder and rainier than before. Oh, and then I got lost driving home.

The point being, I would much rather have competed for a turkey. :(