Touriquette
Just about every time I give a tour of my house, I'm shocked speechless by various types of rude behavior. (Not any of YOU, beautiful blog people – you have all acquitted yourself with grace and tact on tours...but you are, alas, the only ones.)
I've seen it all. I've had people enter areas I don't invite them into, make rude comments, throw open closet doors or yank open drawers and start nosing through the contents.... Geez, people. What if I keep a naked man in chains in the closet?
Of course I don't, but the point is, I COULD, and politeness dictates that you not attempt to seek him out in the dark corners of my home.
I recently gave a tour to a couple of my parents' visiting friends who essentially invited themselves over. The husband, you guessed it, started opening the closet doors.
I'm becoming bolder/grumpier in my old age, so this time I actually spoke up when he opened the closet in my bedroom and gently said we weren't doing a "closet tour" today. (I can't be the only one who cleans up the house by shoving all the junk in the closets, can I?)
So then he immediately proceeded to open another closet door. More sharply, I said, "Please don't look in the closets." Meanwhile, his wife went running off into a back bathroom I had not intended to include on the tour, and the husband of course opened yet ANOTHER closet.
So you see, Officer, that's why I had to do it....
1 comment:
Yes, yes, I feel your pain. My problem is my stupid boyfriend wants to lead people on that tour of the darkest recesses of our house. He likes to pull my drawers open to demonstrate that they open and close (and look at all the crap my girlfriend has!), take them into the spare room I hid everything from company in (and look at how messy my girlfriend is!) and then finish by standing around in our bedroom (this is where we sleep together in sin!) Drives me nuts. And he wonders why I don’t like to have people over…
Post a Comment