Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'm in the Book

I joined Facebook. I felt like I was too old for it, but once even my firm started pressuring me to get an account, it seemed like it was time.

The firm thinks Facebook offers fabulous opportunities for NETWORKING and BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT. So far I am friends with exactly one client. This client is a lawyer in a foreign country whom we also use for work in that country. So they probably think THEY are networking with ME.

I keep hearing these stories about people reconnecting with long-lost people from their past and how they develop rich and rewarding new friendships and blah blah blah. But all the people I would really like to find from back then are either (1) already still my friends (hi, Deborah); or (2) not on Facebook or apparently anywhere else on the Internet. As for the people I did find on Facebook, it was like, "Hi, how are you?" And they responded, "Hey, great to see you. I am a [insert career here]." And then I wrote back, "I am a lawyer." And then there is great silence and many status updates on my newsfeed about what they ate for breakfast.

But don't mind me. Maybe I'm just bitter because I have such an inadequate number of Facebook friends compared to everyone else. Why does nobody love me? (Note: skeezy sweaty drunk guy K and I met at the last young lawyers' happy hour who wanted to "friend" us – for some reason I think he meant something other than Facebook – does not count.)

4 comments:

Misplaced Texan said...

I mostly use facebook to watch my long distance friend's kids grow up. But most of it is rather silly.

Mrs. Juicebox said...

I wish there were some way I could friend you and you could friend me so that we could talk about "DA LAW." My email address is my name at gmail, but I don't mind telling you how to get in touch with me if you don't mind telling me?

If not, I totally understand, it's just it's hard to find a sympathetic soul in our world so I gotta take a shot!

Mrs. Juicebox said...

I am about to give up on Twitter and go all-Facebook. But not for work purposes. It still scares me to network there!

Make Mine a Triple said...

Mrs. Juicebox, please e-mail me privately -- I tried mrsjuicebox@gmail.com, but that didn't work, and I don't know your name, and I e-mailed a certain somebody who's a Texas girl living in the frozen tundra to try to find out but did not get a response -- aaaah! NOT trying to ignore you, I promise!